Thursday, August 7, 2014

First Week at Sri Sri University

Hope you enjoy...kind of relaxing and slow...not too much excitement just yet!
First Week at Sri Sri University

It’s been exactly one week that I’ve been on campus here at Sri Sri University.  It’s been a very relaxing induction into student life.  The Masters program got delayed by one month so I’ve been just helping out and studying in my free time.  I’m enjoying the seva activities and meeting all of the students.

The amazing thing is how nice everyone is.  The students here are so kind and sweet.  The students seem very innocent.  The MBA students appear to be having a blast, which is fun to see.  I’ve been playing ping pong with the boys just about every evening.  I bought the students new paddles and balls…secret seva is a lot of fun J

The campus here is just getting started.  The campus reminds me of old photos of the Bangalore Ashram 20 or 25 years ago.  The 180 acre campus here is mostly bare land along the river.  We have about 7 or 8 buildings on campus including two good sized hostels (dorms) that each have about 80 rooms among 5 or 6 floors.  The students seem very happy with the campus setup.  I have been getting used to the heat and rain.  I think my body actually likes that I’m not constantly in A/C.  My room does not have A/C, so I have the ceiling fan on full blast!  I have been learning lessons like not to keep food in my room as ants love food!  I’ve also been drinking 2 to 4 liters of water per day to account for all of the sweating!  I’ve been taking 3 to 4 showers / day which takes up most of my day ;-)  I now love the cold water baths.  We don’t have hot water in the boys hostel.  I use a bucket and a cup to take my baths…this must sound very foreign to most Americans.  At first, over the first few days, I missed the creature comforts of the US like my Central A/C and heat in the house and car.  I missed the comfort of driving everywhere with my main exercise coming from Pure Austin, our local Austin gym.  Here, I’m actually setting up the gym on the top floor of our hostel.  We currently only have two dumb-bells and a very basic bench press.  I’m hoping to setup a whole new wing of the hostel with sweet gym equipment; and really get folks in shape!  I’ve been running every other day or so and like to get in a good sweat at night.  I feel great walking around campus and really enjoy the natural beauty.  I can just see our university looking like the Bangalore Ashram in 10 years.  Many buildings will hopefully come up including an engineering school and a medical school.  We’ll hopefully have a café and a bookstore, paved roads, and recycling to name a few things.  I have heard we’ve had a ton of progress over the past 4 years, so am excited to see what the next few years entail. 

I feel so lucky to spend time with Bawa and Dinesh Ji here at Sri Sri University.  They seem so accessible.  I just walk in to their office / usually just see them walking around campus.  They are so humble and accessible.  One night, I just stopped running and started talking to both of them while they were walking.  I didn’t even think to ask if they were busy / if I could speak with them.  They are so chill and laid back it’s nice to be around them.  They both seem very busy though, so it’s not always easy to catch them. 
My current seva projects include managing the remodel of the Yoga Hostel and classrooms, getting our gym setup, and getting some materials together to potentially teach Pricing and Financial Independence.  We’ll see what opportunities come up.  I would love to teach our BBA & MBA students financial independence via Rich Dad Poor Dad and Cash Flow 101.  I think the business students should also know pricing strategy, so I’ll teach if asked.

I was feeling a little home sick and missed the comforts of living in the US until I shared a rickshaw with a new faculty member here.  We headed into town and I fell in love with all of the life that’s found in India.  With 1.2B people, you feel like every town center’s NYC.  There are people everywhere.  A traffic jam in India doesn’t just involve cars; it includes pedestrians, bicycles, scooters, motorcycles, trucks, cars, and cows.  There’s also a plethora of horn honking and scents.  It’s quite a festival of sorts.  I fall in love with India every time I get in a rickshaw.  It’s like the country comes alive with so many people everywhere.

Regarding nature, I’ve had my fair share of life just about everywhere including my bed!  I’ve seen many ants, mosquitos, lizards, dogs, and cows.  While walking to my yoga hostel, I ended up walking through a large group of something…sheep / goats…the shepherd was this wiry old guy that looked like someone out of a novel.

I’ve been studying Sanskrit every day and am mostly just getting the near 50 letters down for now.  I’m about half way through the alphabet.  Talk about a night and day difference vs. English.  English seems like a cake walk compared to Sanskrit. 
I’m also loving The Supreme Yoga - Yoga Vasistha.  I’m reading and re-reading every day…so much meaning exists even in one page.

Well, I’m hoping to get in amazing shape by the time class starts on September 9th.  I’m doing Padma Sadhana two to three times / day and will hopefully start Sri Sri Yoga as soon as I get a yoga mat.  I’m doing my Padma Sadhana on the mattress on my floor.   

On the subject of food, to keep my Mom happy, I’ll write about it…it’s been ok…a lot of carbs!  On many mornings, I’ll have roti / chapatti & breakfast rice with pickle (chutney).  For lunch we get a nice vegetable dish, rice, chapatti, and daal (lentil soup).  I’ve been skipping dinner as it’s served at 8:30pm.  If I eat 3 meals / day, my stomach gets upset…Gurudev says that by age 40, one meal / day is enough.  I think eating 3 meals / day is just too taxing on the system, though I’m a little hungry right now, but I’d rather have no food in my room than ants!  I bought a ton of fruits yesterday while we were on the rickshaw ride and found a ton of new roommates!  I had to kill my new roommates, the ants, by the grace of Indian Windex…potent stuff.  I know, I know…didn’t feel great killing the ants, but it’s either their death, of my swollen body with ant bites! 

So that’s it so far…I’m loving my unstructured days, my near full sadhana each day, studying Sanskrit and yoga, exploring the 180 acre campus by foot, and playing ping pong with the MBA students.  I’m looking forward to spending more time with our local Swami Ji and doing more Guru Poojas’.  Gurudev will be here September 3rd for the inauguration speech!

Love & Jai Guru Dev,

No comments:

Post a Comment