Thursday, January 23, 2014

Desire, Cravings, and Surrender

"When you let go of all your desires, the Master's Plan for your life starts manifesting...and anything is possible any Moment" - ...

When I read this, I realized that I am still holding onto selfish cravings and desires.  A dear friend, a girl I used to casually date, and a "friends with benefits" friend for a few years, called me last night and wanted to get some advice on a guy she was recently dating.  We spoke for a while, I supported her, listened to her, and gave her advice when she asked for it.  She's a wonderful person and seems to have great friends and a good relationship with her family.  She struggles though with men...including me.  I just never took the time to get emotionally attached and we simply became "friends with benefits."  We hooked up too quick!  

So last night while talking, old memories of our physical relationship crept up into my mind and I started craving sex with her.  I am sure she would be more than happy to meet, but this would not be fulfilling and would completely go against my commitment to be a Brahmacharya.  As I thought an struggled a little with this desire, I came to realize that what I was feeling and seeking is for "myself" and not anyone else.  The pleasure I am seeking has a very finite beginning and an end with countless moments of anticipation of some future moment and then glorifying the past with a touch of detachment during.  This reflects directly on what the Bhagavad Gita states as cravings to overcome.  Drop the sense pleasures and seek an everlasting joy in samadhi.

Orite, back to class...

In Loving Kindness,

An Aspiring Yogi


No comments:

Post a Comment